What is a school-based health center (SBHC)?
The UCFS school-based health center is a doctor’s office inside of your child’s school. The services are provided by an APRN (advanced practice registered nurse) and behavioral health clinicians who are experts in adolescent health and are employed by UCFS. The intention of the UCFS SBHC is to supplement the care your child receives at their pediatrician’s office. The UCFS SBHC staff communicates with your child’s primary care physician to keep them updated about the care your child receives at the UCFS SBHC.
UCFS School-Based Health Centers offer the following services
- Yearly well-child examinations
- Sports physicals
- Acute care visits (e.g. sick visits, lacerations, injuries, etc.)
- Chronic care visits (e.g. asthma, ADHD, etc.)
- Mental Health Assessments
- Substance Abuse Screenings
- Counseling (individual, group, and family)
*If your child is experiencing a medical emergency please call 911. For a behavioral health crisis call 211 for Mobile Crisis Intervention Services.
Why should I enroll my child in the SBHC?
- Help students stay in school to receive needed care rather than have to leave campus.
- Improve students’ academic achievement by taking care of medical, dental and behavioral health needs that can make learning difficult.
- Remove barriers to care such as lack of transportation or insurance and to support school staff through wellness and educational events.
- School-Based Health Centers eliminate the barriers to treatment including access to care, scheduling conflicts, and transportation limitations.
- Students will receive behavioral health counseling from licensed professionals trained in working with children.
- The counseling will take place in school during the school day.
- UCFS counselors will do their best to work with each student’s schedule to provide care during non-academic classes when possible.
- Clinicians will also be available for crisis intervention as needed for students enrolled in the SBHC.
Who can receive services?
Any student with a signed consent form who attends Montville High School, Norwich Technical High School, the PBL Campus/Pathways, NFA or the Sachem Campus, Kelly STEAM Magnet Middle School, Stanton Elementary School, and Teacher’s Memorial Global Studies Magnet Middle School can receive services at the School-Based Health Center. However, the SBHC is not open to the public.
How do I register my child for the SBHC?
Please complete the enrollment form below. For questions, please call the SBHC line at 860-822-2803.
NEW!!! All SBHC forms are now electronic. In order to properly complete the enrollment form, you will need the following items:
- General demographic/personal information
- Medical/behavioral health/dental insurance information (if you are insured)
- Social security number (if available)
- General medical history information
If at any point during the completion of the forms you need to step away and complete at a later date, please use the “finish later” option on the top right of the form.
If you need to print the SBHC forms, please see PDF versions below.
Will these services be billed to my insurance?
Yes, all services provided at the UCFS SBHC will be billed to the identified insurance. Co-pays will be billed to the responsible party. If your child is uninsured, please give our Access to Care Program team a call at 860-822-4798 for a free insurance eligibility assessment.
School Based-Health Center Hours
(Hours are subject to change)
Montville High School
Medical Services: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
Behavioral Health Services: Monday through Friday from 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
Norwich Technical High School
Medical Services: Tuesday and Thursday from 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
Behavioral Health Services: Tuesday and Thursday from 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
Norwich Free Academy
Medical Services: Monday through Friday from 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
Behavioral Health Services: Monday through Friday from 7 am – 2 pm
Kelly STEAM Magnet Middle School
Behavioral Health Services: Monday through Friday from 8 am – 3:30 pm
Stanton Elementary School
Behavioral Health Services: Monday through Friday from 9 am – 4 pm
Teacher’s Memorial Global Studies Magnet Middle School
Behavioral Health Services: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 am – 3:30 pm